Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Turp's Tailgate Wings


We had some friends over for New Year's Eve and I decided to make hot wings. I tried many, many different recipes for hot wings and I never could get them crisp like I like them. Finally, a good friend of mine gave me this recipe and so I thought I would share it with you.



  • buy a five pound bag of wings

  • pre-heat oven to 500 degrees

  • spray 3 glass casserole dishes with non-stick cooking spray (I use 3 dishes for a 5 pound bag of wings and using glass dishes is the key to crisp wings)

  • place the wings in the dishes (I have found it better to thaw out the wings even though they would still turn out fine if you forget - you just collect more juice in the dishes when they are not thawed out)

  • sprinkle the wings with black pepper and garlic salt

  • turn the wings over and sprinkle again with black pepper and garlic salt

  • place wings on the top shelf of the oven and cook for one hour

  • after the first 30 minutes take the wings out and turn them over with a fork and place them back in the oven for the final 30 minutes

To make the wing sauce you need to do the following:



  • buy your favorite hot sauce from your local grocery store (I usually use either Franks hot sauce or Texas Pete's wing sauce, but you can use whatever you like)

  • pour the entire bottle of hot sauce in a blender

  • add butter that has been softened in the microwave to the blender and mix for 5 to 10 seconds or until the butter and hot sauce is mixed well (the more butter you add the milder the sauce will be - also, if you want a thicker sauce than do not melt the butter as much. A good starting point for a medium sauce is 50/50 hot sauce to butter. All of this will be done to taste.)

There are five of us in my family and this recipe feeds us well. I usually deep fry some french fries, cut up some celery and make some good old sweet tea to go with the wings. Well, that's it - I sure hope you enjoy them.

7 comments:

Joan said...

I can testify that these are better than any I've ever eaten in a restaurant. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Lyn said...

I've had the wings, too, and they are delicious. You're also good at explaining how to make them because mine turned out well using your directions! Yum!

Jane said...

YUMMMMMMM!!!! I'll take an order!
I am going to give these a try.

Terrell said...

OK, here's the deal! We all (who need to) agree to encourage each other to walk, bike, run, or otherwise exercise until we've each lost a goal amount of weight (20 lbs?). At that point, as a reward, we all go over to Turp's house for wings. I'll buy the chicken.

Joan said...

Hey, Terrell, sounds good to me. Shall we resurrect the monthly marathon or devise something new for inspiration? BTW, I walked to Mother's house and back home today.

Lyn said...

Ooh, Terrell! I like that idea! I would be up for joining the monthly marathon or something new.

tockstar said...

Just made your wings for the Superbowl. Everybody LOVED them!